Sep 16, 2006

The Stabilizer

For the past 2-3 weeks, I am continuously drawn to Psalm 124 and Psalm 94. Here David is in the midst of tremendous stress, opposition, and running from his enemies. The phrase that has jumped out at me the most, has been........
HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THE LORD.
I am becoming keenly aware, that Had it not been for the Lord......... There through ever circumstance........ Through every trial, and every decision............ Where would I be? A lot worse off that is for sure.
The Everday bible quotes Ps. 124 this way - "What if the Lord had not been on our side?" In Psalm 94 it says - "If the Lord had not helped me, I would have died in minute"
The Message quotes Ps 124 this way - "If God hadn't been for us..." And Psalm 94 reads - "If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it"

I get so charged up reading these words. Why? Because it is a statement of Who is in charge.

He is our stabilizer, He is the one who ultimately decides our outcome.

Sure, we get to make choices of whether we want to live lives of integrity and character, but we don't get to decide how people respond to us, and sometimes, the things that happen to us. Even when we blow it, and we make a mistake, and we are in over our heads................. God is there for us!
I have to tell you that if God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it!
Reality is, we all mess up from time to time. Not because we mean to, but because maybe we made a wrong choice. The beauty is, its not about what you did wrong, or who is in the wrong............ The real question is, Who do we run to when things are going wrong?

"Our help is in the name of the Lord. Who made heaven and earth"

He is the only one who has ever been able to truly help me, sometimes He helps me through the listening ears of a caring friend, sometimes its in a warm hug, sometimes its in correction and instruction, but ultimately, it comes from Him.
He is the One who stabilizes every situation, the One who brings clarity, refuge, He becomes a hideout, our defender, our confidant, our Help.......... And the list goes on. Who is He to you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This touches my heart as instibility has been my life for so long and God has started changing that and me at the same time. I miss you Cheryl
Charmaine Shulga

Shaun and Holly said...

Cheryl,
I am so thankful that God is our stabilizer!!! We all are in need, but sometimes our needs are VERY great...even in those times, HE is our hideout.
Bless you my friend.
Love,
Holly

Anonymous said...

I have not been able to finish the Psalms these past 2 weeks myself, as I keep wanting to read them over and over. They bring both comfort, and excitement to my spirit. What a blessing to know that he truly is "The One."
I miss you.
Amy