Oct 15, 2011

The Making Of A Miracle - Part 3

To recap the last post:
 * We were packed and ready to move... clear across the country from Ontario to BC
 * My Dad went for a walk, stopped in a building, met a man, asked for his card
 1st ingredient for a miracle:

1. Have an impossible situation.We qualified... big time
The moving day had arrived. After my heart warming meeting with the government on the phone in September, I learned that once we moved to BC, we would have to wait for 3 months for a medical services card, that would allow us access to funding for any diapers, formula (as she could not eat food) and medication that Lindsay needed on a daily basis. This was only a small value of around $1500 per month. No big deal.

Being the planner that I am, I stockpiled any leftover formula, diapers and medications to prepare for the lean 3 months ahead with no medical assistance.

There is NO WAY that Lindsay could handle driving across Canada, so I asked the government for extra help. That's when I learned about the 2nd ingredient for a miracle: 

2. Be willing to ask for the impossible.  
You never receive if you never ask. This was probably the greatest learning for me, and one that I needed some practice on in order to be ready for the future miracle.  I had learned to ask for the basic needs, but never above and beyond. 

Sometimes we ask, and nothing happens. I know. I get it. I asked for her to be miraculously healed. I asked that she wouldn't have to endure the 14 surgeries and endless complications and lengthy hospital stays. It didn't happened. 

Sometimes we ask, and we don't get the answer we were looking for. Something comes, just not what we asked for. Sometimes its just enough grace for the day. Sometimes its a new perspective that gives you the ability to overcome. The key is to not stop asking. Just like a kid who keeps asking for that candy bar at the checkout counter while mom is in line paying for the groceries. He knows the answer, but he still asks......hoping and believing.

So, I asked and the government granted special favor for Lindsay to stay in a  respite home in Ontario during the week while we drove West.  On the weekends. a dear friend offered to care for Lindsay.
This is when I learned the 3rd ingredient for a miracle: 

3. When relief and favor or a gift (miracle) comes your way, swallow your pride and say yes.

Don't listen to the lies that say: you have to do this on your own. You have to prove you can. That will disqualify you for a miracle. A miracle means you can't do it, it's beyond what you can do. 

Learning to notice and acknowledge God's provision in day to day life, prepares you for more. He's building a reputation of trust with you. 
Not because He needs to, but because you need the history to be foolish enough to believe for more. 
That's why it's called History.                  
His - Story
Now, back to THE story.

We gathered the troops and stood on the curb, for one final goodbye to our home and life in Ontario.
My wise 14 year old son turned to me, looked me square in the eye, pointed his finger at me and blurted:

Mom, you've got 20 minutes to cry and that's it! We're movin' on!

He was right, we were. We had chosen. We had to stop looking back and move forward to the unknown. I had a deep knowing in my gut that this was right and I had a word from God, my trusted friend, that He would consider Lindsay. What does that actually mean to consider Lindsay?
I had NO idea. Like a blind woman being led by a well trained seeing eye dog, I stepped forward into the unknown, trusting that He would guide me.
Ingredient number 4 for a miracle:

 4. Trust. Believe. Faith. Hope. (Ridiculous, crazy, scary kind)

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Heb. 11

Come back tomorrow for more of the story... 

No comments: