Feb 27, 2007

You Get What You Ask For


You Get What You Ask For

I had the distinct pleasure of going for an early morning walk with my oldest daughter, Alyssa.

You know - You get what you ask for.

All my life, I anticipated being a mother and I had dreams of, and prayed for a deep meaningful relationship with my children.

Jesus had alot to say to us about asking. My sense is that He doesn't have a problem with us asking Him for things, as long as we're prepared to hear His answer. Here are some words from Jesus about asking.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

One of the things I always asked God for, was to be able to have open communication with my children, and for them to feel comfortable sharing everything in their lives. This morning as I walked with my daughter, I was breathing in the brisk mountain air and reveling in the beauty of creation around me;when her chatter brought me back to reality.

It is said that on average women say 7,000 words per day. I would have to say that my daughter breaks that record a few times over. She definitely has the gift of gab. As she chatted away, I smiled and God reminded me that she is all that I had asked for. He reminded me the truth of the above scriptures and that I needed to thank Him for answering my prayer. You see, if I chose, I could have focused on the fact that her chatter was jolting me out of my inpirational walk, but instead, I choose to thank God and see that He loves to give us the desire of our hearts. In response Alyssa is being all that I asked for.
She can't help but be that. If I believe for it, it will come.

The key is acknowledging His miraculous provision.

This day, despite any obstacles standing in my way, I choose to stop and look and see the provision of the Lord to me. He knows my every desire, and longs to fulfill each one.

"You have given him his heart's desire, And You have not withheld the request of his lips." Psalm 21:2

2 comments:

Amy said...

Excellent.
This is what I feel almost daily. With 2 small children, it can often feel as though it's become a chore, but I try to thank God for the things I asked for and see the beauty in these little beings. As well as being thankful for the BLESSINGS that God gave me through them.
Your blog is always inspirational and thought provoking.
Thanks for that.
Love, Amy

Rhonda said...

What a great reminder. Sometimes we get caught up in the 'work' of parenting and forget to marvel at how blessed we are with such wonderful children.

Thank you for sharing your Alyssa. There are little deposits of her left with so many of us. She is a real gem. She lights up any room that she enters.

Raising my own independent oldest child causes me to often reflect on Alyssa, which is very encouraging.

God bless your mother-daughter relationship.

Love, Rhonda